Harris County, Georgia, with a population of 36,000 and located in west central Georgia along the Alabama border 60 minutes southwest of Atlanta and 30 minutes north of Columbus, is accepting applications for County Clerk. The current County Clerk is retiring after 30 years of service. This full-time position is appointed by the elected five-member Board of County Commissioners (BOC) and serves at their pleasure. This position:
- Attends meetings and records/takes/maintains minutes of the BOC, Development Authority, Planning Commission, Public Improvements Authority, and Airport Committee. Most of these meetings occur after hours.
- Acts as official custodian of county records and maintains those records, approved contracts, leases, and minutes in accordance with the Georgia retention schedule for local government records.
- Conducts research of records.
- Responds to open records requests in accordance with state law.
- Prepares BOC agendas/supporting documentation and publish official notices.
- Provides staff support to the BOC and County Manager.
- Notarizes documents.
- Keeps track of appointments and vacancies on various BOC appointed boards.
- Periodically updates code of ordinances as required by state law.
- Keeps various county registrations current in compliance with state law.
- Monitors social media posts and responds accordingly with accurate information.
- Updates website content.
- Assists other departmental employees as needed.
- Backs up the Administrative Assistant as needed (i.e. answer phones, act as receptionist).
Minimum qualifications include high school diploma (bachelor degree preferred), at least three years of experience as a County Clerk or Deputy County Clerk in Georgia, certification as a certified county clerk through ACCG and CVIOG or the ability to acquire this certification within three years of appointment, general knowledge of Georgia local government, excellent customer service skills, ability to attend periodic state required clerk training, ability to use various computer programs, and possession of a valid Georgia driver’s license.
Starting salary is $51,187 plus generous benefits. Applications with resumes can be mailed to the Harris County Board of Commissioners’ Office, 104 N. College Street, P.O. Box 365, Hamilton, GA 31811 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of “County Clerk Application.” Application form can be downloaded from the county’s website at www.harriscountyga.gov. Resumes without completed application will not be accepted. Position open until filled. First review of applications and resumes will begin Monday, January 17, 2022. Hiring will be dependent on successful drug screen, background and social media checks, employment history check, and driving history check. Harris County, Georgia is an EOE.